Twitter Tip #3
How To Get Ignored On Twitter
- Talk About Yourself – There is nothing that will keep you from getting ReTweeted like talking about yourself constantly. It will probably also prevent you from getting many followers.
- Don’t Ask for the ReTweet – Like any form of marketing, calls-to-action matter in social media. So if you don’t want ReTweets, don’t ask for them, and especially don’t ask for them politely.
- Dumb it Down – Twitter is a fairly literate, intelligent audience. When you’re avoiding ReTweets, you need to avoid saying anything too smart, so use only small, simple words.
- Don’t Include a Link – People love using Twitter to spread links to content they liked. So don’t give them the opportunity. If you don’t want ReTweets, be sure you’re not Tweeting interesting links.
- Say the Same Things Everyone Else is – If you say only the same things everyone else is saying, you’ll avoid any risk of being worth ReTweeting. It’s easy, just agree with everyone around you and work hard to never bring anything original to the table.
- Don’t Talk About Twitter – Twitter users like Twitter, and they like talking about it. Tweeting about Twitter will make people want to ReTweet you, so don’t!
- Use TinyURL – TinyURL was invented before Twitter and isn’t really built for 140-character messages. It will use up precious characters that will make it harder for your followers to ReTweet you. Perfect.
- Use Only Semi-colons – You’re smart enough to know how to use a semi-colon, right? Stick to them and avoid other kinds of punctuation like the plauge (they’re all highly-ReTweetable).